Another week, another list of facts to share with unwanting strangers. What better way is there to show someone you’re taking the conversation serious other than dropping a random, completely unrelated fact?
- Hummingbirds are the only animals that can fly backwards.
- If you think kissing is gross, just remember that you spread more germs shaking hands than locking lips. In saying that, it’s still probably not a good idea to go for the kiss with business partners.
- Want longer nails faster? Just seriously damage them! Injured nails grow faster than uninjured ones (probably also not a good idea though).
- Ever wish upon a shooting star? At best guess, 18,000 to 84,000 meteorites bigger than 10 grams per year hit the surface of the Earth. That’s a lot of wishes.
- The average human grows around 950 kilometers of hair in their lifetime.
- A can of spam is opened every 4 seconds. Gross.
- Antarctica is the only continent without any kind of reptile, including snakes – that doesn’t mean that I’d recommend living there, though.
- It takes 37 hours after death for your brain to stop sending out signals. Spooky.
- Feeling a little rusty? Hopefully not as much as Mars, which gets its red colour from being covered iron oxide – fondly known as rust.
- The Sea of Tranquility is neither a sea, or that tranquil. It’s an area of the moon.
So there you have it. Some knowledge zingers to make you smarter everyday. Go forth and spread the good word!